Heroes Don’t Need A Cape!

Paparore School welcomed a hero on Thursday morning, none other than Dudley Andrews! Our school community has been enthralled with the story of Dudley’s heroic rescue of two young boys at the Waipapakauri Ramp two weeks ago. We were very lucky to hear his story first hand.

2015-03-12 21.39.502015-03-12 21.34.33

The senior students have been learning about ‘Water Safety’ this term, so it was an excellent opportunity to put a ‘real life’ context into their learning. They understood much of what Dudley spoke of, in terms of water safety practice and were captivated from beginning to end. Dudley used Maui’s boogie board to assist with the rescue and he told the students that they should always have a flotation device when they are near the water. He also said that heroes don’t need a cape, they are ordinary people who do amazing things! There were many ooooohhhhhs and ahhhhhhhs throughout Dudley’s korero and a heap of questions at the end. 

Thanks for coming in and sharing with us Dudley, we really appreciated it.

2015-03-12 22.25.032015-03-12 22.25.22

Student Responses to Dudley’s Story

“You’re so brave to save the young boys even though there was a horrible shark and you could have drowned yourself. The boys you saved must be so proud of you. My favourite part of your story was when you were talking about how to save people and how to get out of a rip. Your information was making me happy because now I know I’m like you and I can do it too!” – Brytnee 

“Thank-you for saving those wonderful kids, they are lucky to be alive. They are awesome! My favourite part of your speech was when you said you told the boy you would  kick the bronze whaler in the face if it came back!” – Raven

“Great accomplishment Uncle. If you weren’t going to get those tuatua’s, those youngsters would have been goners. Your general would be proud. Something I took from your speech was to always have a flotation device when you go to the beach.” – Jayden M

“Dudley Andrews, you are a big hero because without you, no-one would’ve saved the two little boys. Thank you so much. My favourite part of your speech was when you said you were going to slap Tangaroa in the face” – Jasmine

By | 2015-03-13T23:21:44+13:00 13th March 2015|Classes, General, Te Kauru, Te Puawai|3 Comments

About the Author:

3 Comments

1. Jasmine 16 March 2015 at 5:14 pm - Reply

Thanks for coming in Dudley. I liked the bit when you were going to hit the shark on the head. It was amazing

• Allegra 17 March 2015 at 6:48 pm - Reply

I agree with you Jasmine, my favourite part was when the two boys managed to get THIRTEEN HAND MARKS on Dudley’s board!! WOW! They were really hanging on weren’t they!

• kees 13 September 2016 at 7:20 pm - Reply

if I was there I would of been so interested

Leave A Comment

four × 5 =